The Hannah Unit at McMaster has compiled this partial catalogue of the FHS collection; a complete inventory is available only in the HSL Archives Database. Some of the collections here have a "subfonds," or a detailed inventory of the contents, see below.
Since its founding in 1966, under the leadership of Dr. John Evans, the school’s first dean, McMaster created a revolution in health care training with the establishment of a medical school that pioneered a problem-based learning (PBL) curriculum, which has since influenced health care education worldwide. The inaugural convocation in 1972 saw 19 students receive their MD degrees. In 1974, the Faculty of Health Sciences was formed, incorporating the School of Medicine and the School of Nursing. The Faculty expanded to include a School of Rehabilitation Science, a midwifery program, a Bachelor of Health Sciences program, and Canada’s first undergraduate physician assistant program.
The archival collection contains 198 subfonds of department records, administrative and planning material, including Dr David Sackett’s papers, reports, annual reports and committee minutes.
John Bienenstock, MD, is recognized as a global authority on lung and gut and their interaction with the brain. From 1968 until after becoming professor emeritus of medicine and pathology in 1998, he forged the infrastructure for the Faculty’s research enterprise. He was Vice-President and Dean of the Faculty (1989-1997).
His papers deal with the administration of the faculty. The papers are divided into eight series:Committees, Correspondence, Department of Medicine, Education, IDRU, Photographs, Reviews & Reports, and Strategic Planning.
Archival Collection: 1965-1972
58 boxes, 24 linear feet of textual records Finding aid available in hardcopy; index in electronic format HSC 1B31 Accession numbers: pre-1987
Dr John R. Evans was the first Dean and Vice-President of the Faculty of Health Sciences at McMaster University from 1965-1972. He pioneered the development of the McMaster model of medical education. He was part of a team that designed the McMaster University Medical Centre, which opened in 1972. In July 1972, Dr Evans became President of the University of Toronto. He then formed his own biotechnology firm and in June 1987 became the first Canadian to be elected chairman of the Rockefeller Foundation.
His papers are organized into five subseries: personal material; construction and planning of MUMC; hospitals and health care agencies in the Hamilton area; education and administration; research and grantsmanship; and external organizations. There is a significant amount of material related to the building of the McMaster University Medical Centre and administration of the medical school.
Subfonds can be found here:
The archival collection is divided into 15 series:administration; area planning; committees; communications; contracts; furniture; housekeeping; interior build; McMaster University Medical Centre Construction; movement; occupancy; planning material; post construction; publicity; and security.
Archival Collection: 1950-1985
10 boxes, 4 linear feet of textual records Finding aid available online HSC 1B16Accession numbers: pre-1987
Dr John Coleman Laidlaw was the third Dean (1981-1985) of the Faculty of Health Sciences at McMaster University. He was the chairman of the Department of Medicine, 1975-1980.
The archival collection is organized into eight subseries: articles and speeches; personal and career related material; external organizations; departmental reports/annual reviews; committees; and financial, Hannah Chair, community health. There are three boxes of articles and speeches.
Archival Collection: 1975-1989 15 boxes, 6.4 linear feet of textual records Finding aid available online HSC 1B16 Accession Number: 1991.39
Dr Dennis R. McCalla was the third Vice-President (1982-1989) of the Faculty of Health Sciences at McMaster University. He joined McMaster as an Assistant Professor of Biochemistry in the Department of Chemistry in 1966 and became a full professor in 1971. He was the first Dean of the Faculty of Science in 1967. From 1972-1974, he served as Acting Vice-President, Science and Engineering. He was the Chairman of the Department of Biochemistry from 1979-1982. Dr McCalla retired in July 1989.
The archival collection is organized into four subseries: administration; committees; external organizations/search committees; and education. His papers primarily deal with the administration of the faculty.
Archival Collection: 1957-1986 71 boxes, 30 linear feet of textual record Finding aid available in hard copy; index in electronic format HSC 1B16 Accession numbers: pre-1987
Dr James Fraser Mustard was the first chairman of the Department of Pathology at McMaster University in 1966. In 1972, he succeeded Dr J.R. Evans as Dean and Vice-President of the Faculty of Health Sciences. In 1982, he founded and became President of the Canadian Institute of Advanced Research. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society and has been named officer of the Order of Canada. His papers span the period of 1957-1986.
The archival collection is organized into five subseries: personal/professional material; research; associations and organizations; community (Hamilton, Ontario); administration; education. There are a considerable number of boxes reflecting his research, work in the community, administration, and education.
Oral History Collection: 1977-1992 29 boxes, 5 audiotape cabinets, 12 linear feet of textual records
Finding aid available online HSC 1B16 Accession numbers: 2000.33
Dr Charles Roland was the first Jason A. Hannah Professor in the history of Medicine at McMaster University, 1977-1998. He compiled a collection of oral history interviews, audiotapes and transcripts, as part of various research projects. They reflect the diversity of his interests in the history of medicine. The oral history collection includes audiotapes, typed transcripts, photographs, and correspondence.
The transcripts are organized into 12 subseries: Holocaust; POW WWI, Nursing WWI; POW WWII; POW WWII (Asia); Heparin; Clarence Hincks, Dr C.B. Mueller; Winnipeg Clinic; early Canadian medicine; McMaster Medical; and Ontario Medical Association. The collection also includes slides related to the history of medicine.
Archival Collection: 1960-1993 3 boxes, 2 linear feet of textual and photographic records Finding aid available in hardcopy; index in electronic format HSC 1B16 Accession numbers: pre-1987, 994.8, 997.5
Dr William B. Spaulding was the first Associate Dean (1965-1970) of the newly created Faculty of Health Sciences at McMaster University. He was one of the pioneers in the McMaster model of medical education. In 1991, he produced a book about the early years of the Faculty of Health Sciences titled Revitalizing Medical Education: McMaster Medical School, the early years, 1965-1974. He was the founder and first director of the Diabetic Day Care United (1970-1987) at McMaster University. He was Director (1978-1987) of the Division of Internal Medicine in the Department of Medicine, McMaster University.
The archival collection contains the administrative and personal papers of Dr Spaulding, including a draft of his book on the early years of the McMaster medical school, photographs, and material related to his involvement in professional associations. The collection is divided into three series: MD education and MUMC planning; Publications and Miscellaneous; and Personal.
not housed under FHS, own fonds
Dr Mary Tremblay was an Associate Dean in the School of Rehabilitation Science. She helped to found the Occupational Therapy Program at Mohawk College and was a Director of the Degree Completion Program for Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy at McMaster. She was a central figure in the history of disability and rehabilitation, spinal cord injury rehabilitation, war and disability in the twentieth century, aging with a pre-existing disability and human rights of the disabled.
This collection contains the research material collected by Dr. Tremblay throughout her career at McMaster University. Along with printed material, there is a large collection of audiotapes and transcripts of interviews with rehabilitation patients and therapists. The collection is divided in seven series: digital oral history collection; oral history; personal; publications about disability; publications by Mary Tremblay; research; and slide collection.
This collection includes annual reports, progress reports, the EFPO newsletter and the EFPO Working papers published during Phase 1 of the project which ran from 1990-1994.
The Working Paper reports include:
Archival Collection: 1982-1999 4 boxes, 2 linear feet of textual records Finding aid available in hardcopy; index in electronic format HSC 1B16
McMaster University Student Council (MMSC) produces and publishes the yearbooks for the M.D. classes.
In 1942, McMaster University began its ﬁrst program in Nursing, a cooperative effort between the University and the Hamilton General Hospital. Miss Gladys Sharp was hired as the first director by McMaster University in 1946 to lay down the foundations for a nursing education programme, create a plan, hire staff and faculty and construct a curriculum.In November 1946, the School of Nursing was accredited by the Nurses Registration Act of Ontario. In 1974 the School of Nursing became part of the newly created Faculty of Health Sciences and moved into the McMaster University Medical Centre. The School of Nursing has been celebrated for its use of Problem-based Learning. In 1992, the School of Nursing was recognized by the World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Nursing Development. It has two areas of expertise, primary care nursing and teaching methodologies, such as Problem-based learning.
The archival collection is divided into 35 series. These series include: Admissions, Aga Khan, Alma Reid, Annual Reports, Artifacts, C.A. Ofosu, C.A. Ofousu, Calendars, Certificates, Clinical, Committees, Course Material (x3), Digital Photographs, Dorothy J. Eagle, Evaluation, Events, Henrietta Alderson, McMaster University Nursing Society (MUNS), Northern Clinical Program (x2), Nurse Practitioner Program (x2), Nursing Alumni, Nursing Care, Other, Personnel, Photographs, Planning Material, Primary Care Program, Publications, and research.
Archival Collection: 1972-present 14 boxes, 15 linear feet of textual records Finding aid available online HSC 1B16
The Public Relations Department is responsible for promoting the activities of the Faculty of Health Sciences. It was created in 1972 and has operated continuously since.
The archival collection contains promotional material and publications. It also contains photographs of people and events used in public relations publications. The collection is organized into six subseries: events; publications; photographs; special projects; videos; and photographs/head shots.
Archival Collection: 1950-1985 10 boxes, 4 linear feet of textual records Finding aid available online HSC 1B16Accession numbers: pre-1987
The Undergraduate Medical Education Programme was created in 1967 to plan, organize, and run the medical programme at McMaster University. It is a three year programme. The first class began in September 1969 and graduated in 1972. Initially each teaching section was called a phase. There were six phases plus a post phase six revision period. In approximately 1983 the phases were renamed units. There are now six units though which a student must pass in order to graduate. The McMaster M.D. Programme is based on the Problem-Based, Self-Directed earned within the context of Small Groups model.
The archival collection contains the early planning records, later planning material, course material, photographs, and architectural plans.